Festival Travel Policy
Travel Policy for HASSRA Festivals
- HASSRA aims to offer a value for money programme which is sustainable and fair for everyone. It is members' money that pays travel expenses; therefore, the most economical form of transport must always be used.
- The travel policy for Festivals assumes that, where geographically viable and within reasonable cost, regions will arrange coach travel for all their members to be paid for by National HASSRA. Where coach travel is not geographically viable or is cost prohibitive, members may travel by car or rail ensuring best value for money.
- Competitors with a disability or carrying heavy/bulky equipment they need to compete will be permitted to travel by car/rail, even if their region provides a coach.
- In all cases members should not make travel arrangements without prior approval from their Regional Team Manager.
- This policy applies to competitors and volunteers.
- The cost of coach travel will be met by National HASSRA subject to the conditions below. This will usually include overnight accommodation and meals for the coach driver.
- Coach travel to and from the festivals will be organised on a regional basis depending on geographical viability and value for money based on number of members travelling. Regional Team Managers should consult with the National Team to seek approval.
- Invoices for coach travel should be sent to the National Finance Team who will raise the Payment on HASSRA Live.
- If a region provides a coach, it is anticipated that most competitors from the region will travel on the coach provided, although there will be some exceptions who will be permitted to travel independently by car/rail. For example:
- Members with a disability.
- Members carrying heavy equipment needed for competing.
- Members who are competing in events which start on Friday before the coach is due to arrive.
- Members with personal circumstances such as domestic commitments; however, these should be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Members who cannot travel on the coach provided should contact their Regional Team Manager by email to agree an alternative mode of transport.
- Where a coach is not provided by the region, travel by rail or car is permitted. Members should contact their Regional Team Manager by email to agree transport arrangements. Regional Team Managers may need to discuss travel proposals with the National Team for advice to ensure best value for money.
- The cost of rail travel will be met by National HASSRA subject to the conditions below.
- Some regions may opt to organise group rail travel at discounted rates for competitors. This will be permitted provided that the total costs are cheaper or comparable to the cost of group coach travel. If the costs are more, the Region can still proceed provided that the Region pays the extra cost of the travel. The Regional Team Manager should discuss and agree arrangements with the National Team.
- Individuals wishing to travel by train should contact their Regional Team Manager by email to seek approval.
- Members should book train tickets as far in advance as possible to ensure best value for money. Saver or other discounted tickets are the norm and only in exceptional circumstances will 'Walk on' standard tickets be refunded. Under no circumstances will the cost of First-Class travel be reimbursed.
- Where rail costs are deemed excessive, members should consider car sharing to get best value for money. Decisions on cost-effectiveness should be made by Regional Team Managers in consultation with the National Team.
- Members travelling individually by rail should purchase their own tickets and submit expenses claims retrospectively for reimbursement (except where the member has been given permission to claim in advance of the purchase because of the high cost of the ticket.) See Expenses Rules for further details.
- The cost of travel by car will be met by National HASSRA subject to the conditions below.
- Members wishing to travel by car (own or hire car) should contact their Regional Team Manager by email to seek approval. In all cases when travelling by car is permitted, members should look to car share wherever possible to keep costs down and ensure value for money.
- Members travelling by car should submit expenses claims retrospectively for the appropriate mileage/fuel costs. See Expenses Rules for further details.
- Members wishing to hire a minibus should contact their Regional Team Manager by email to seek approval. Consideration should be given to the cost depending on the number of members involved. Alternative transport such as car share may be better value for money.
- Members driving a minibus must take out all necessary motor insurance. We recommend that minibus hire should include a driver. This will inevitably be more costly and decisions on cost-effectiveness should be made by Regional Team Managers in consultation with the National Team.
- If travel by minibus hire is agreed, the costs will be met by National HASSRA.
Refusal to travel by requested means
- Where competitors are refused permission to use their own/desired transport but still intend travelling by their own/desired means, they will be required to fund their own transport costs.
Car Parking at Warwick University
- Members must register for parking in advance as per the information brochure and park in the correct allocated car park at the University. Disabled drivers must notify the National Team in advance to request a disabled parking space. Disabled drivers must display their blue badges at all times. Any parking fines incurred must be met by individuals.
Travel from Coventry Train Station to Warwick University
- Individuals travelling from Coventry Train Station to Warwick University should travel by bus. Regular buses are available (Numbers 11 and 12). Taxis may be used when travelling as a group to keep costs down. Individuals should not travel by taxi unless in exceptional circumstances (for example, when travelling alone late at night).
Costs which can be reclaimed from National HASSRA
- The following costs can be reclaimed from National HASSRA by submitting expenses claims retrospectively:
- Bus fare from Coventry Train Station to Warwick University (and return). See para 26.
- Taxi fare from Coventry Train Station to Warwick University (and return), but members must share where possible to keep costs down. Receipts must be submitted. See para 26.
- Car parking charges at members’ home train station. Receipts must be submitted.
Costs Met by Regions
- The following costs should be met by regions. However, to avoid members having to make a separate claim, they can reclaim these costs from National HASSRA who will recover monies from regions as appropriate:
- From Home to Train Station - Using own car (mileage) or taxi*.
- From Train Station to Home – Using own car (mileage) or taxi*.
- Mileage (or taxi*) from Home to Coach Pick-up point; and from Coach Drop-off point to Home.
- *Members wishing to travel by taxi should contact their Regional Team Manager by email to seek prior approval.
Late Festival Cancellation
- If the festival is cancelled and members have purchased advance train tickets:
- If train tickets are refundable, members should claim a refund from the ticket provider. The cost of any additional admin fees can be claimed back from National HASSRA by submitting expenses claims.
- If train tickets are non-refundable, members can claim back the full cost from National HASSRA by submitting expenses claims.
- If members travel by car without knowing the festival has been cancelled, they can claim back their mileage costs from National HASSRA by submitting expenses claims.
- Mileage costs cannot be reimbursed if members travel knowing the event has been cancelled.